Cabbage and Chicken Dumpling Soup is a simple Chinese comfort food. Despite its simplicity, when properly prepared, the dumplings are soft and succulent, and the soup is flavorful and satisfying. You can serve this dish as a nourishing meal for someone who happens to be sick. To a native Chinese, this dish is also good when one is nostalgic for a taste of China.
Chicken breast, 1 cup
Cabbage, 2 cups
Egg, 2 cups
Celery, 1/2 cup
Chicken stock, 1 liter
Sesame oil, 1 tablespoon
Soy sauce, 1 tablespoon
Salt, 1 teaspoon
MSG, ½ teaspoon
Green onion, 1 tablespoon
Ginger, 1 teaspoon
1. To prepare the filling, first mince the chicken breast in a meat grinder, or buy ground chicken breast meat. Organic chicken is more flavorful and highly recommended if it is available.
2. Mix the ground chicken with minced green onion, minced ginger, sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl.
3. Boil a large pot of water.
4. Cut the cabbage into large pieces. When the pot of water has started boiling, blanch the cabbage by immersing it in the boiling water for 1 min, and then transferring the cabbage to a bowl of cold water to cool down.
5. Finely chop the cooked cabbage, and drain excess fluid from the chopped cabbage.
6. Scramble the 2 eggs in a pan.
7. Mix the scrambled eggs and the chopped cabbage into the chicken meat. Add the soy sauce, salt, and MSG to season, and mix thoroughly. Let the filling rest for 10 minutes.
8. Wrap the filling in dumpling wrappers.
9. Heat a pot of 50% water and 50% chicken stock.
10. When the soup has started boiling, add the dumplings to the soup and cook for 10 minutes.
11. Before serving, add minced celery to the soup, and add soy sauce, salt, MSG to taste.